FEEDING THE MIND
“My friendly team and I strive to give the personal touch to the catering services at Cumnor House School; although catering for everyone from 4 year olds to hungry grounds men every day is a challenge in itself! We pride ourselves on our friendly service, meeting the daily needs of even the fussiest of eaters whilst encouraging pupils to try something new and everything at least once. We always hope that everyone will leave the dining room satisfied that they have just eaten a well balanced, tasty meal in friendly surroundings. If the people we cater for are happy, then we are happy!”
Kelly Mileham, Catering Manager
All the food at Cumnor House is as fresh as possible, carefully selected from local sources and expertly prepared by our own team of skilled chefs. The use of quality ingredients is at the heart of our food philosophy and we ensure that where possible we use fresh local produce.
- Our bacon is 100% British, our meat is sourced in the UK and 80% of other fresh products such as fruit and vegetables are from the UK.
- Our milk comes from Red Tractor accredited farms; and our all our fresh eggs are free range and come from a single farm in Lancashire.
- All our cheese comes from a local supplier in Horstead Keynes.
- Our fruit juice, coffee, bananas, chocolate and tea are all fair-trade.
- We use apples, pears, plums and figs from the trees in our grounds. We even grow our own herbs to use in our dishes.
We always endeavour to have plenty of special and theme days to make food fun for our pupils. Previous fun food events have included:
- French Café
- Roman Day
- Sussex Food Day – as much food sourced within the county as possible
- Halloween Celebration
- Vegetarian Day
A HEALTHY BALANCE
Pupils are encouraged to make healthy choices and our staff eat at the same tables as the children, where they can encourage good table manners and social conversation.
To demonstrate our commitment to healthy eating, we have a Fresh Food Policy at Cumnor House School.
Martin, the Catering Manager, often hosts Healthy Eating talks for the pupils, covering subjects such as balanced diets, food groups, “good, bad and the ugly” and games and competitions based on the right foods to eat.
Our food committee meets once a term. It includes the school nurse, the catering manager and 2 children from each class. Here’s what the student representatives have to say about the food at Cumnor House:
Year 2 pupil – ‘The food at Cumnor is even better then Mummy’s!’
Year 5 pupil – ‘Can we have seconds more often?’
Year 6 pupil – ‘I love the puddings but it’s good to always have a choice of fresh fruit and yoghurts.’
Year 7 pupil – ‘I have nothing to say except keep making more food!’
Year 8 pupil – ‘There is so much choice and having fresh soup every day is brilliant.’
A HOME FROM HOME
Our Boarders start the day with a hearty breakfast: Cereals, Toast, Fresh Fruit, Yoghurts, Fruit Juice, Tea and Coffee every day; plus Two Daily Specials such as Homemade Smoothies, Crumpets, Pain au Chocolat, Bacon, Sausage, Scrambled Eggs, Baked Beans, Tomatoes, Mushrooms and Hash Browns.
Our suppers are well balanced meals with our Monday year 8 staff suppers as popular as ever were we visit a different country every time including:
- and the Home Counties
We ask that we are informed of all allergies, so that individuals can be assured of personal care to ensure that they are not offered food that is inappropriate. We have implemented a photo library so that our catering staff are able to identify all children prone to allergies. Our school nurse is the first point of contact for any special dietary requirements, which she will then communicate directly to the Catering Manager.
At Cumnor House, we currently deal with the following intolerances and special diets:
- Dairy free
- Gluten free
- Elimination diets
- Halal meat
We also operate a nut and sesame free policy.
CATERING FOR VISITORS AND EVENTS
As well as daily pupil and staff catering we also cater for lots of other events and here are just a few! Anyone visiting Cumnor House School is assured of a warm welcome and a delicious taste of what our team has to offer.
- Match Teas – Our famous Match Teas provide food for up to 260 children and their parents every Wednesday and some Saturdays. Parent match tea consists of freshly prepared sandwiches and some of our famous cakes which include Chocolate & Beetroot, Green Tea, Rhubarb & Custard, Elderflower, Courgette & Lemon as well as all the old favourites.Parents Evenings – Wine and Canapés receptions plus an annual two course dinner.
- Plays & Musicals – Drinks and Canapés
- Leavers Lunch – A lunch for leaving pupils, their families and staff in a marquee for 250 people.
- Firework night – Food and Drinks for the whole Cumnor community of 500 plus!
- Old Cumnorian Day – BBQ and match tea for 200 plus old and current Cumnorians.
- Grandparents Tea – Musical and afternoon tea which is hosted by grandchildren – no parents allowed!
- Governors – Meeting suppers and drinks as well as termly full board dinners.
- Head Masters and Bursars Dinners and Conferences – Various formal and informal dinners and conferences hosted by Cumnor House.
- IAPS Meetings and Lunches – Area meetings, lunches and afternoon teas.